468x60

.

Chilling with Supreme Court Justices, who me?

April 19, 2006

Yes me.
I had a great time last night!!! My copy editing professor, the nicest old white guy who worked at the Post for over 30 years, invited me and half the class to a big time dinner being hosted by the Herblock foundation. Sandra Day O'Connor, the first lady EVER to serve as a Supreme Court Justice was the speaker and she was way more than I expected. Me and my buddy Esan (who is in the picture below:) rode over to the event together, which was held at the Library of Congress. Since mapquest didn't recognize the nation's official and largest and oldest library, we sort of just stumbled to the first street address in Southeast. The complimentary valet parking was just the start of a great night. We got their just in time as Sandra Day O'Connor was being welcomed to the podium to speak. We slide in one of the back rows of the intimate auditorium, as we aren't the only black (and a few white) people who trickle in a little late. I must admit I was prepared to hear a stuffy old white lady speak, and was even on guard for comments I might have found mildly offensive, but I was way off. I enjoyed the fact that she spoke on the Brown case and was real enough to acknowledge how segregated education has gone back to. I think though what really sold me on her besides her sharp wit and good sense of humor, was her response to a question from the audience on whether she thought the constitution was living or dead. In her Fuchsia suit, pearls and tightly curled white hair, she walks over to her seat, grabs her bag and whips out a pocket sized copy of the constitution. And it was completely natural for her as she quickly found the passage she wanted to cite and showed how much she really believed in the judicial system. She made me feel comfortable that somebody that sound and dedicated to the law sat on the high court and I only hope those who now remain could have a fraction of her dedication.
She also proves my point of the need to be a snob about something because she was definitely one when it comes to the law. The reception following her speak was immaculate. I mean, it's the freakin Library of Congress. The overflowing buffet, open bar and dessert table were definitely appreciated by someone who does not plan on buying any groceries before I move out in exactly two weeks.Me and Esan got out network on as we mingled with those at our table, inevitably lawyers and government workers.
But the best part of the night was when we spotted Professor Ashcer and went to say hello. He was so excited to see some of his students showed up and wasted no time showing us off. We meet his son, a high school teacher, his pregnant daughter who is a broadcaster for a French channel's DC office and speaks all French on air who really seemed like she wanted us to take up her offer of stopping by the station and his matronly wife who hung out at the buffet. We also met some of his buddies and blackfriends, one older guy who was a professor at George Mason who told us," you can't trust all white people, but he's a good one you definitely can trust" (lol) and a cute older black couple. The husband went to Howard and was excited to see some young journalism students on their way. The night was GREAT, the grilled mushrooms, biscotti and crab cakes were my fav and it's always good to get as comfortable as possible with the fact that you are a minority- so what you gonna do with it?

Queen

*The pic is of me standing in front of a great view of the Washington Monument (though you can't see it in the picture) at the reception, me and the homie Esan, and one of Herblock's (the great Washington Post cartoonist) cartoons. Don't be too hard on the bad quality of pics, you know how camera phones are:)!

1 comments:

  1. Michael said...:

    Ever the big timer. Hi, Charreah. By the way, you turn on word verification by clicking on "Change Settings," then selecting "Comments." It'll be there, just scrolly down.