468x60

.

Going Home . . .

November 14, 2006
That's how I felt when I made my way back to NY over the weekend. Yes, it was so much fun and just got me that much more pumped to get my grown and sexy on (read broke and employed) after May 12th. I'm in a good moment.Our magazine group hit up Maxim and Complex and lunched with our sexy and hustling Howard alum one the online editor at King and the other an EA at InStyle.com.Thursday was good but trying to lead 17 people with many of them 18-years-old let me know I am not sure I want to chaperone my kids fieldtrips.Trip highlights . . .

* forcing our VP who's favorite magazine is King to go say hey to the EIC who we just happened to see eating lunch and who was real cool with me and her when we came to speak.

* Returning to ESSENCE was really like going home. The ladies (and the fabulous Patrik) made me feel like I really was a part of the team. If you get a second, check my byline on page 72 in the December issue with Diddy and Kim. Though it was sad to be there as they waited on confirmation about Gerald Levert, it was so uniquely and beautifully Essence. I also met the new online editor who was really nice, and as Time Inc and all magazines make that push to online, it is something anybody wanting to go into magazines should definitely be open to.

*SHOPPING!!!!!!!!! I got these gray suede above the knee boots that are sic. I am not that chic who can't wait to wear new stuff as soon as she gets it and have been known to not wear new stuff for months. However these two shirts I got from Necesarry Clothing, one of my fav spots in SoHo, I wore right away. One Friday and the other Saturday night:)

* Morning tea at the Harlem Tea Room with my cousin who is the closest I have to a big sis and Im so glad to have her (and not just cuz she let's me crash whenever I come to the city or treats me to awesome meals) We really had some deep convo, devling in to why our brothers are so clingy to the nest. Her financial wisdom will definitely guide my meager earnings when I get to the city. And if you know anyone in need of an awesome floral designer tis she! Friday night she took me to this asian place called Room Service that was so sexy, strong drinks and great food!


*Brunching with my former ASME program buddies Saturday and pumped for when we are all back in the city and magazine-employed. And I guess I could have put this in shopping, but after strolling through the East Village and making our way to SoHo, this dress I have been eyeing since the summer at Club Monaco was on such a serious sale I wanted to run to the register before they realized their error.

*Saturday night still makes me smile. Reuniting with my homie-sister-friend Zee was great. We didnt party like we did all summer because it was a Saturday and we never partied on Saturday nights:) People think they know how much fun we had from facebook pics, but they dont do the summer justice. At this soul food/Caribbean spot Maroon's we did a full meal with like four courses and drinks all around. We caught up on the drama in each other's lives (she has me beat!) and the truth like only real friends do. The beauty of our friendship is that we call each other on the things we do, like when we were talking about how time is flying and I said, "Yeah the year is almost over, I mean, the December magazines are already on the newsstand." lol. And I was so serious.
*Running to the 7am bus as it was about to pull off Sunday morning and being the last one on it wasn't a highlight, but reading more of Babylon Sisters by Pearl Cleage (one of my favorite authors!!!!) and planning out the rest of my week on the ride was great.
Just writing this post brought back all those memories and has me ready to get back to NY. Right now I am at the Law School library with my friend Ashley. Suppose to be studying but after that beautiful weekend, what was I doin . . .looking at Harlem apartments on Craigslist. I know Im wrong, but can you blame me:)?

1 comments:

  1. Elle* said...:

    You do so much when you are in NY and I live here and don't do half of the stuff! Shame on me, but I am jotting down some of these places!