468x60

.

Heavy Heavy

February 13, 2008
So, I was holding on as tight as I could to my spiritual high. And you know that's peak time for everybody to try ya. First riding the train this week I cant escape to another place on my 'Morning Sunshine' mix because I cant find my ipod. Then some rich guys grandaddy is acting like this is the first time he has ever rode the train. I get on 72nd street and he just moves in and doesnt try to hold on to a pole. I knew this is a disaster but dont know if its my place to say 'old man hold on!'
 Well, I should have because as soon as the train takes off he's bumping into everybody and comes to rest his weight mostly on me. The train stops. He gets off my feet and carries his weight. You think this old guy would learn to hold on? Nope. For the next two stops he stumbles in a circle not keeping his balance and still doesnt hold on. When I get off at 50th st he has a sheen of sweat on his brow from the unexpected morning tap dance.
And Im not heartless and felt sorry for him. I know what it feels like to be a victim of ageism. But this week a guy at work I swear was on his period. I mean, I'm accustomed to the age jokes and I know I make an easy target being the new kid on the block (yeah, I know about that group! Ha). 
Singing my name to the tune of Santana's "Maria" then asking, 'oh wait, do you even know that song C?' is just a day in the life. 
But when it turned to disrespecting the hard work Im putting in or my flyness, well that's where my niceness ends. And the irony is I probably know more music, culture and history from the past than the jokesters combined.
Ok, vent over. But the lesson in this for all of us to follow your dreams - so you dont end up in a job or industry you dont wanna be in and take that out on people who are. . . and do hold your weight on the train.



1 comments:

  1. Jameil said...:

    of course that's when they try you! lol. sheen of sweat on his brow from the unexpected morning tap dance?!?! hilarity!! love it.