468x60

.

All Hail Alma Mater

March 24, 2008

Sigh . . .

Aww HU. (U U u u u)

That's the echo in the hilltop office as the paper has stopped running for now amid financial woes.

Last week I heard our campus newspaper, which I finagled my way on to the staff as a freshman (and yes I like to add I was the only freshman on staff that year, hey some have nobel peace prizes, thats what I got:) and where I called home till Senior year, had stopped running for the semester.

A few months ago a good friend and fellow former hilltopper helped with trying to straighten out financial problems so I thought things were back on track. Not so much.

Today Shara sent an email about the paper posted on Black College Wire. As I read about a place that was once so dear to my heart, I wondered how things got so bad so fast and could I have done anything to help avoid the collision? I wondered why it wasnt till now my heart strings were even tugged to care?

I mean, we went by the office when we were in town for homecoming, I give any student who comes an office tour and lunch, and at any time it comes I rep hard for my school (like when the Will You Marry Me couples came by, the Howard couple was so cute), but is that more for personal satisfaction and self serving or uplifting of a heavy legacy? Am I one of those type of people?

I did help layout most of our NYC-HU alum's chapter newsletter. Should I have spent that time better serving the school?

And we already know how educated Black people feel about Howard. So it definitely is time for re-evaluation as an alum of almost a year now. Yep, the time flies.

3 comments:

  1. Jameil said...:

    awwww... that's awful. i was upset when i heard about it, too.

  1. Cosmopolitan said...:

    This is so sad... I feel you cj- I wish I could have done something to help.

  1. SDT said...:

    rumor is they may go back to weekly production. we'll see.

    and in case you didn't know, i love seeing my name, so i was smiling extra hard when i saw it in this post. :-D