468x60

.

A Spike Lee Joint.

September 26, 2008

After you watch the debate, go check out "Miracle at St. Anna."

I saw the film a few weeks ago and it was beautifully made and an incredible story. One of the things about screenings is it's suppose to be work so you aren't their as a consumer. If you really want to look like you are all business pull out your notepad. Though I don't believe for a sec you are writing in the dark . . .Mr. White Hair and glasses. That business facade totally didn't work at SATC when I fought back tears . . .twice. And in this film by Spike Lee based on the novel by James McBride, I wanted to stand and clap when it was done. This is the first time in a while I saw a movie that was based on a book and I hadnt read the book yet (though I dont agree with Belle that Devil Wears Prada's book was better than the movie.) If the movie was this good, I can only imagine what's in store for the book.
This week I had the pleasure to catch up with some of the Buffalo Soldiers of the film, my fellow bison Laz Alonso who was incredible in the film as we watched him go from a young soldier to an older man, the clever Omar Benson Miller who made me want to hum "Watch out for the big boy" with his charming self, and the calm and collected Michael Ealy who was nothing like I thought he would be. What I got was an incredibly sharp and subdued brother who was not the bad boy he can play his butt off as. And when he said he thought about going back to theater all the time and is looking for the next Lorraine Hansberry to create the next amazing play, I gave him the serious side-eye over the phone, as he pulled my card. I simply adore Lorraine and in my dreams we are old friends. Ok. When I am awake she is still my kindred spirit who I sometimes fantasize is passing her torch to me . . . Yes, it's that deep. Whit called me on my love of Lorraine on her blog and how I told her she could be Nina Simone (one of those moments you realize your craziness through someone else's eyes)
Anywho, in these times of Obama . . . we definitely have to remember how far we've come and how far we have to go
Now Im on the quest for a "Chocolate Giant" or am I just loving that phrase . . .

4 comments:

  1. Nicole said...:

    Love this post! I've been so excited to see Spike Lee's film so I'm definitely hitting up the theater soon :) And I missed the debate because I was at the How Sweet the Sound gospel competition, but I just got off the phone with my mom and she said Barack was stunning!! Can't wait to check out the encore tonight!

  1. Anonymous said...:

    Since you are such a fan of Hansberry, you should know there's a documentary about her in the works.

  1. EJB said...:

    I absolutely cannot wait to see this movie. I'm a huge fan of Derek Luke..can't wait to see him in that uniform!

  1. Soulful Jenn said...:

    You're the first to bring my attention to this movie, will watch as soon as I get a chance. Love your writing and I, too didn't get a chance to watch the debate because my tv doesn't work.

    FYI: this morning while my brother and I were having breakfast we started singing that song that was in Coming To America, "She's Your Queen To Be.." My brother told me to google the lyrics so I typed in, "she's your queen to be lyrics" and your blog about you posting the lyrics in 2007 showed up as the 2nd link. Because I have a special place for the Bloggers I clicked on yours..

    <3 continue expressing
    yourself and God bless <3