468x60

.

Black Girls DO Rock

November 9, 2008

I kicked off the historic week by hitting up the Black Girls Rock Awards! at Lincoln Center. 

It was . . .amazing. Pam Grier. An amazing and humble Erykah Badu. Iman. Yeah, good time. And plenty of Howard folks. I really felt cool being greeted by the fierce Susan L. Taylor who always makes me feel like the prettiest girl in the world and the dapper Emil the editorial mastermind who's dimpled smile always makes him look like a cool college guy more than the legendary editor he is.

Then the votes were cast for the 44th president of these United States. And a blessed day it was. We saw a Black family celebrate their moving to the White House and the beginning of a new era. A man from a single family vote for himself as president. First Lady Michelle Obama   . . . Ok, so I don't deny my complete adoration for this fierce woman.

I watched it as we worked to keep updated info on the site. And before you kn
ew it, CNN had proclaimed him the winner. A moment of elation then move, move, get the info out. McCain's speech was the best we'd ever heard from him and a new guy. And our President-elect and his family took the stage. I had teared up a little earlier, but when he acknowledged Michelle and said: 
“I would not be standing here tonight without the unyielding support
of my best friend for the last 16 years, The rock of our family, the love of my life, the
nation’s next first lady, Michelle Obama.” 


I couldn't hold it back as we felt the power of love and the Black family and what the audacity of hope really means. We did this.

We all rode that high out and felt the importance of reaching our own potential. I went to Essence's Young Women's Leadership Conference and had a fab time. I had only planned to go for the day but Candace convinced me to crash in her hotel and boy did we have a ball. I invited my Godsister Courtnay who I never see and six successful women (including the fab Dee and Johnica who I had only laid eyes on, on facebook) met and of course much of the conversation centered on men . . . Being back in DC, and strongly suggesting we hit my fave thai spot in the city, Simply Home, had me nostalgic for our Nation's capitol. And I could certainly see myself back there. After dinner we still were up to hang and went by Busboys and Poets. Saw more familiar faces and familiar feeling of all being right, that honestly, had alluded me a little lately.

Black Girls DO Rock. And are coming to a White House near you:)

2 comments:

  1. Nicole said...:

    Love it! Awww...even though I couldn't be with you to celebrate so many of the great events of the past few week I still feel the joy! And thanks for your lovely comment on the blog :)

    Oh! I've tagged you to list 7 random things about yourself. Feel free if you'd like!

  1. Eb the Celeb said...:

    Black girls do rock! Loved this post!