468x60

.

Things Fall Apart

June 23, 2009

Jill Scott and her beau caput. No, not the old break up from two years ago where she was divorced. The new one, her drummer she was planning to marry. Her son is just 2 months old. yes a mother can do an amazing job raising children on her own. But things like this make me wonder what is so bad that we cant work through this, yet were ready to get married and decided to have a child together not so long ago.

ESSENCE.COM Interview
Question: Well, at least your hubby-to-be was there to support. How has he been adjusting to Jett?
JILL SCOTT:
Yes, he was there and for a couple of days afterwards while I stayed in hospital, but John and I are no longer together. When you have a baby you're dealing with a lot of emotions and I don't know how much of it had to do with us breaking up, but it happens. We definitely love our son and we are co-parenting and working on being friends. It is what it is. I have a lot of support, so I want for nothing as far as that's concerned. I know some might criticize me or the fact that my son is being raised in a single-parent home, but I wasn't raised in a two-parent home and I had a good relationship with my dad. I have hopes for him and I'm sure his father will do his part as well.


And if you know me, you know I LOVE me some Jill Scott music. I love her in love singing about cooking grits for her man or doing whatever he likes. Maybe I care more than she does, but we need all the hope we can get on strong Black couples creating strong Black families . . .

I saw the same thing with a couple who just had a baby on MTV, with a breakup shortly after a birth. Another big reason I definitely plan to be married before kids, just because I feel we would fight harder for things to work, if we had pledged before God till death do we part.

3 comments:

  1. Dang, Gina! I was rotting for them too!

  1. Charreah said...:

    You and BB with the dang Gina:)

  1. Tara said...:

    Oh, yes, Charreah! PLEASE get married before you have kids. Unfortunately, it's not a guarantee, but it's a CRAZY time after you have a baby and your relationship totally takes a backseat as you just try to figure out who the heck you are now. I love your blog...I'm back to stalking you now (in a non-creepy way). lol