468x60

.

Ride the Maverick

February 1, 2009
I always have had dreams of going into politics. In the days when I had my life mapped through at least 60, politics came after a few years of practicing law, but before I taught school as a retiree:). Now I don't know what Ill be doing in September, but that draw of being a part of change and having an impact on government is burning bright.

If I could afford law school, I definitely would go. But luckily, researching some of my favorite politicians and political wives let's me the see the many routes traveled to political posts. I finished Connie Schultz's memoir on her husband Senator Sherrod Brown's run a few weeks ago and I happened upon Majority Whip James Clyburn's site this morning. I saw his and his wife's name on a guest list to a South African dinner at the White House and wanted to see the two of them together . . . and also found out he's from Monck's Corner, an area of South Carolina my girl Satara repped like it was Los Angeles in college:) She is adorable (that's them and the family at his swearing in) and his story was inspiring as he was told as a child to leave politics alone, and after losing a campaign for Congress in his 30s, went for his dream again in the 90s at 52 and won. He also went to Undergrad at South Carolina State, like both of my parents did.

I needed to see that and probably should have looked up more politicians like him while I was in college. Feeling ignored by politics, I realize I started to ignore the government back, probably when it could have used a new perspective telling the story more than ever. But with Bush in office and my district Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney plotted out of office by another Black woman Denise Majette, I wasn't feeling it.

So on the first day of February and Black History Month, I definitely am even more excited for the new regime and politicians of color making their mark. I found solace from being ignored by politics in literature and Zora Neale Hurston has the perfect quote for feeling alienated . . .

"Sometimes I feel discriminated against, but it does not make me angry. It merely astonishes me. How can any deny themselves the pleasure of my company? It's beyond me."

Indeed.

0 comments: